Selected by Choice as a 2012 Outstanding AcademicTitle
Awarded a 2012 PROSE Honorable Mention as a Single VolumeReference/Humanities & Social Sciences
A Companion to Women in the Ancient World presents aninterdisciplinary, methodologically-based collection ofnewly-commissioned essays from prominent scholars on the study ofwomen in the ancient world.
- The first interdisciplinary, methodologically-based collectionof readings to address the study of women in the ancient world
- Explores a broad range of topics relating to women inantiquity, including: Mother-Goddess Theory; Women in Homer,Pre-Roman Italy, the Near East; Women and the Family, the State,and Religion; Dress and Adornment; Female Patronage; HellenisticQueens; Imperial Women; Women in Late Antiquity; Early WomenSaints; and many more
- Thematically arranged to emphasize the importance of historicalthemes of continuity, development, and innovation
- Reconsiders much of the well-known evidence and preconceivednotions relating to women in antiquity
- Includes contributions from many of the most prominent scholarsassociated with the study of women in antiquity