Table of Contents
Sequoia and Redwood Trees
You will find something more in woods than in books. Trees and stones will teach you that which you can never learn from masters.
Trees: Trees are beautiful plants made of wood with strong roots, pretty green leaves, and occasionally yummy fruit! They are fun to climb, explore, and learn about.
Lots of interesting creatures live inside the bark of trees and some live in the branches. Other animals dig a hole under the tree and live there too!
The roots of a tree do more than just keep it standing tall. Roots are like a beehive for creatures in the earth! Roots also give water to the tree and the nutrients it needs.
What do you know about trees?
Some trees live for thousands of years and some grow very tall and wide. Think of the Sequoia tree. This is a "King" among trees. It can be as tall as a 26 story building!
The wood from trees has been used for a very long time to help humans. Do you know how we use the wood from trees?
- For Energy: Building a fire to keep warm or scare away bad animals. Many people have fireplaces in their homes and some people still cook with firewood.
- In Construction: Many homes are made of wood and many floors are too!
- For Furniture: Did you ever see a pretty wood table or chairs? What about a head board?
- For Decoration: Do you like picture or painting frames made of wood? What about vases, souvenirs, plates, or nicely painted bowls?
- To make paper: Yes, paper comes from the chips and sawdust of trees! Toilet paper comes from trees also.
- For Games: Board games and other types of games are made from wood and many children toys are made of wood.
- For Cleaning Supplies: Shampoos, shoe polish, and even cleaning supplies for the home, comes from a tree!
This list is just a small sample of what trees can do. Did you know the wood of trees is used for thousands of products?
How many other things can you add to this list?
Trees come in all shapes and sizes but if a tree is small it is called a shrub instead of a tree. Do you know how many trees are in the world?