Rodeo, located on the east shore of San Pablo Bay, was envisioned as the meatpacking center of the West when it was established by the Union Stockyard Company in 1890. That vision failed, but the town continued attracting residents for jobs at the nearby Hercules powder works, Selby smelter, and Oleum refinery. By the 1940s, a war-based industrial buildup made Rodeo�s population surge, and this was followed by a postwar boom in housing and retail construction. During these prosperous years, Rodeo was a regional hub for fishing and boating. Times have changed, but the images in these pages recall Rodeo�s early years�the marina, businesses and homes, schools, civic officials, and local industry, as well as the town�s celebrations, such as the Holy Ghost and Aquatic Festivals.