STEM! You've probably heard of it by now: Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math. STEM programming took the library world by storm in 2013, and is still going strong today. Don't let this trendy programming theme fool you, though - STEM skills are more than just a fad; they are essential. With the constant evolution in both our communities and in technology, libraries will need to make sure they stay STEM-literate in the face of these changes, so they can help their communities thrive. This book will show new and exciting examples of how libraries are implementing STEM education. You'll also learn how to start or improve your own STEM programming with little or no budget, even if you're not a scientist or mathematician.
Special features include:
- STEAM programs: What's in the "A"? Are libraries doing this already?
- Real examples of current and successful STEM programs created by librarians.
- Clear, concise instructions for incorporating STEM skills into your regular series, one-off, or outreach programming for all budget ranges and age groups.
- Breaking down barriers – providing STEM programs for underserved populations such as newcomers and young girls.
- Engaging your community to make the most out of possible STEM based partnerships and resources.
- Pop culture program samples -- learn how pop culture STEM programs aim to include more than just your self-proclaimed budding scientists in their appeal, and ideally inspire a wider range of children to imagine what their own STEM-skilled futures might look like. This magical mix of exciting, trendy and educational programs will have a wide range of kids saying "Mom, you have to take me to the library!".