The spiritual journey is perhaps the most personal experience of our lives—but does that mean we have to go it alone? With The Guru Question, award-winning author Mariana Caplan brings you a unique and much-needed guide for deciding whether you need a dedicated mentor to help illuminate your path to awakening—and if so, how to navigate the deep complexities of the guru-disciple relationship.
For those seeking a teacher worthy of their trust and devotion, or anyone who has been frustrated by their experiences with a spiritual teacher, Caplan offers a candid, practical, and daringly personal examination of the student-teacher dynamic, including:
- Are you ready to be a student? If and when you should consider making a commitment to a spiritual teacher
- The path of the conscious learner—how to retain your power and autonomy while accepting a mentor's authority
- Tips for the wounded seeker—the valuable lessons we learn from our encounters with false teachers
- Spiritual scandals and predatory gurus—guidance for avoiding the inherent pitfalls in the student-teacher relationship
- How to recognize the inner light of divinity as it manifests in the imperfect human guise of your teacher—and yourself
In a time when a distrust of authority has been proven to be a healthy trait, we tend to be justifiably suspicious of those who present themselves as gurus and spiritual masters. Drawing upon her knowledge as both a scholar of mysticism and lifelong practitioner of spiritual traditions, Mariana Caplan helps readers develop the discernment that is crucial when seeking an authentic teacher—and reveals the immeasurable rewards that can come from having a trustworthy guide on the spiritual path.