The Tower of Trongsa houses a museum that tells about the history of Bhutan's political power as well as the religion practised in this, the last Himalayan Buddhist kingdom. Functioning as a watchtower, the Tower of Trongsa safeguarded the Trongsa Dzong during centuries of political unrest and war. Since the 17th Century this fortress castle has been both the centre of political power and a place of Buddhist worship. From here the roots of Bhutan's monarchy, established in 1907, originated when the more or less independent local religious states were unified into one strong realm. As so often in the Buddhist Himalayas, such an undertaking, accomplished by political and military power, was only possible with the aid of mighty tutelary deities. In addition, the book explains the daily rituals and illustrates the deities of the Buddhist pantheon. Four years of cooperation with the religious dignitaries of Trongsa Dzong have produced previously unknown insights into the history of power in Bhutan as well as its religion. This knowledge is passed on to the reader.